Monday, August 25, 2008

Searching

Almost instantly after she slammed and locked the door, her hands flung a scrappy purse and a set of keys onto the small hallway table, ,already supporting a vase of dried flowers and a picture frame. She then realized, with immense annoyance, that he too, unfortunately had a key. She stormed down the hallway.
Right before she entered the kitchen, she heard the jiggling doorknob and a metallic clink. the condominium door flung open and she could hear his quick, light footsteps on the hardwood floor. 
"Elise?" he shouted from the hallway.
Her frail hands gripped the edge of the marble sink. Elise tried to steady herself by taking a deep breath. The new set of bangs she cut yesterday were falling into her glistening eyes where tears were slowly budding. 
"Elise?" 
This time it was soft. She could tell he was standing in the doorway of the kitchen. 
"Get out."
She had meant to say those words firmly, but her voice quivered. Hatred bubbled in her stomach for saying that to him. 
"What?" confusion coloring his voice.
"Roger, just get out," she said as she swiped away a tear on her cheek.
"I don't under-"
"What don't you understand? Don't you get it? We can't be together. Not yesterday, not now, not tomorrow."
"Why? Why can't we be together if we want?" he already knew the answer she was about to give.
"Are you kidding?" she asked incredulously. "You almost got killed tonight. On my behalf!"
"That guy couldn't take me if he tried. I didn't die, did I? Look, will you stop blaming yourself for things you can't control?"
She knew he was right, but the image of the fresh gash on his arm was branded on her memory. 
"Do you think they won't try harder next time? They won't plant bombs or secretly track you down? They aren't going to stop after tonight and just say 'Darn, foiled again.'"
"You're right, they're not. But I told you that was a risk I was willing to take. I told you that I loved you and nothing could come between us, not even..."
"...God, himself, yeah. But I guess love was foolish this time. I don't want to have to explain to your family the reason you were killed in a freak car chase was because of me. Why don't you find some other chick and just live a normal life. Get married, have kids, grow old, buy a porch swing."
He took a step forward and put his hands out from his body slightly.
"Elise, there is no other 'hot chick.' I don't want to buy a porch swing for someone else." He chuckled to himself at the idea. "I want to grow old with only one, beautiful, unique woman." 
He walked forward and stood behind her, hesitating.
Elise felt him standing there, staring at her. She gasped slightly when he took al of her hair and moved it to one side of her neck. He placed his arms around her stomach, encircling her with warmth. Then, he kissed her neck. She recoiled slightly.
"Then you better start looking," she said, wiping away more tears. She couldn't help but sniff at her running nose. 
He paused for a moment. Couldn't she understand that his world stood still when he looked at her, when she smiled at him, when they held hands. She was the only thing that kept him tied to the world, to an existence. 
He placed his hands over hers on the countertop and guided her, turning to face him slowly. He cupped her face in his hands, his thumbs clearing the tear tracks. Her eyes stared at his shoes. 
"Too late," he whispered. Her deep chocolate eyes met with his silver ones.
"I've already found her." 

No comments: