Wednesday, April 8, 2009

lessons learned

Sorry about the delay in posting. I don't think about it much, and unfortunately, it is constantly shoved to the back of my brain by the other million thoughts that cross my mind in a 24-hour span. Today's post will be short being that I need to leave for class in several minutes. 

The ever popular roommate debate finally reaches the occupants of apt. 801. For the past several weeks, one roommate refused to talk to me for good reason. I admit I said some rather unnecessary words about her boyfriend and she had all right to be angry with me. That did not bug me so much as the somewhat fierce demeanor when we were trapped in an elevator together. Long story short, I found a paper on my desk later that day demanding payments I had carelessly forgot to give back to her. For the past several days, I was afraid to enter the dorm on the chance that she might start an argument, which I know I would not have won. I was so absorbed with the fear of creating an even deeper chasm between us, that all yesterday I wandered around the city, looking for random things to pass time with, or calling up my few friends to take refuge in their dorms. Finally, I got some cash out of the ATM and wrote her a civil note. For some reason, I do not feel scared to come back to my own home. It was a strangely freeing action that also found some of my lost courage simultaneously. 

Lesson learned: If you are stuck in a situation, seek help from the best advice-givers you know and take action with confidence. It saves you the medical bills you might get from having an ulcer. 

1 comment:

Meg said...

BETH! I really like the "lesson learned" part of this note, haha. That sucks that you were in a fight with your roommate. But oh well, shtick happens, right? I still love you :)