Saturday, July 18, 2009

Hero Complex

   When do we really discover our true potential? Can you really ever discover how much you can do or handle when there's always something bigger, stronger, longer, louder, harder, faster...? 
   Being one of the millions of teens in this world exposed to the genius of J.K. Rowling's, I adore the magnificent story of Harry Potter and his comrades on the never-ending quest for good in a magical world. I admire her abilities to fill page after page with words that capture my every being for the briefest moments. Numerous times, I've caught myself smiling wide while reading a particularly exciting portion of one of the epic tales from her collection. My favorite part about it all... I can relive the fantasy again and again and again. 
   But in all honesty, I can't help but long for an adventure of my own. How many times had I wished that a letter would come soaring through my bedroom window by delivery owl (hopefully they would have been careful to watch out for the screen)? Along with every other fantasy addict, I picture myself in the hero's position. Would I have the gut to perform the duties? to abandon the ones I loved for a greater good? to perform at my fullest ability every second? There's that part of me that longs for such an adventure with so much intensity it hurts sometimes. I hate to say that my life is rather boring, one because I'm extremely blessed to have the life I have, and two, I have had opportunities to take extraordinary chances, but it's been ground into me since childhood to stay on the right side of the line. 
   I want to be reckless and not care. I want to be spontaneous and not worry about the paper that's due tomorrow or how tired I'll be the next day. I want to do things that will fill my life to the seams with the happiest moments of my life. However, I feel like that one miniscule spark hasn't come yet. The one catalyst that changes my life from this one to the next hasn't passed by me yet. I don't know what it is, but I want it to come soon. I don't want to have to look back years from now and ask myself why I didn't take a chance. At the same time, I feel like someone gave me the option between the red pill and blue pill, and unknowingly, I took the one labelled "ordinary." 
   So... I want to make the rest of my life count. I'm not saying that what has happened to me isn't a blessing or a lesson. I want to create a more extraordinary life for myself. I want to walk to the edge, challenge the majority, break the rules, swim agains the current... and win. 
   Anyone want to come? I'm waiting.  

1 comment:

Patrick said...

Wow Zwooski, I used to feel like this all the time. Actually, trough most of high school I felt like I needed to take a chance, to risk ordinary to have a life. I don't really feel like that anymore. I guess, for me, college was the answer. It's a little bit sad that the highlights of my life will be centered in Omaha, NE. But, I think it started junior/senior year of high school. I think getting up on stage and starting a blog, finding friends and going out were all part of my adventure.

Maybe you just need to do something you've always wanted to. That worked for me. And sometimes, the right moment never comes, but we can make the moment right for ourselves.